Birds and native trees

I am writing this query in the hopes that some of you who have more
experience with gardening in N Carolina can provide some pointers.

I am looking for a smallish, tall growing (as opposed to broadly
spreading) tree to go in next to a tall wooden fence next to my patio. I
would prefer something native so that birds might benefit from it. Our
native Dogwood is my first choice but what gives me pause is that the area
gets direct sun for four hours (9am to 1 pm) and then shade. I know that
Dogwoods planted in too much sun grow into tight balls and this would
defeat the purpose of the planting. So, my first question: Is this too
much sun for our native dogwood? (yes, I know that Kousas can take more
sun, but I dont like them as much).

My second question: A second choice would be our native river birch
(betula nigra). The advantage is that it would grow fast, and have
interesting bark. But does the river birch have any bird-attracting
qualities?

Sourwood would be excellent since it attracts warblers, if only it werent
soo slow-growing.

Althea (Rose of Sharon, Hibiscus) is another choice. It is not native, but
it does have ample flowers. Does nayone know if hummers like its flowers?

Any other suggestions--besides redbud or magnolia.

THanks in advance
Shantanu Phukan
Carrboro (otherwise known as "Paris of the Piedmont')