NC Coast: Shrike/Imm. BE/Pale House Sparrow?/Scopes

Hello, Carolinabirders!  My husband Chester and I enjoyed a couple of
days at the NC coast last week.  We had some sightings on Thursday,
March 13th I thought would be of general interest.  (Sorry I am just
getting to a computer.)

Loggerhead Shrike - at Ft. Fisher beside the parking lot for the jetty.
We saw it between 9:30 and 10:30 a.m.  It was hawking from a bare limb
on a cedar at the top of the hill above the "Battery Buchanan" sign.

Immature Bald Eagle - at the Southport Ferry Terminal at about 12:45
p.m., on the left side as we were backing in.

Pale House Sparrow(?) - about 2:00 p.m. on the Purple Martin houses in
the yard near where you park to access the Duke Power boardwalk at
Southport.  The bird was about the color of a pale yellow tabby cat.  We
think it was a House Sparrow because it was hanging out with a flock of
them and a couple of the males evidenced interest in it.

Of course, we were hoping to see Purple Martins on the boxes, not House
Sparrows! :(

We were also treated to a spectacular view of a Tricolored Heron just
off the Boardwalk, and earlier saw a male Red-Breasted Merganser in all
his glory off the jetty.  My advice to anyone who is thinking about
buying a scope - go ahead and do it!  We waited four years - far too
long!

Regards,
Ann Robertson
Winston-Salem, NC