ALLEN'S HUMMINGBIRD 3/18/03

Pat and I just returned to Greenville after seeing the ALLEN'S HUMMINGBIRD first thing this morning at Elayne & Mickey Kodroff's house.

The first hummer that showed up this morning on the back feeder was an adult male Ruby-throat at about 6:40am, but the ALLEN'S was there by 6:50am. The ALLEN's made about five (5) visits to the backyard feeded within the first ten minutes, but only actually drank on the fifth visit. The ALLEN'S continued to visit the back feeder about once every ten minutes after that until we left at 7:45am. When the ALLEN'S is not at the feeder, it appears to be perched in the top right side of a tree (I believe it is a Live Oak) at the back left side of the yard. It spent lots of time hawking insects near this tree and a River Oak in the back yard.

The adult male Ruby-throat only showed up twice on the back feeder while we were there. On the front feeder, a young male Ruby-throat made numerous appearances while we were there.

The ALLEN'S hummingbird has really started to gain color and some additional gorget feathers since the Kodroff's took the original photographs in January (when it was believed to be a Rufous Hummingbird).

Ricky Davis arrived as we were leaving so he should be able to continue the sighting report where we left off.

Thanks again to the wonderful hosts - Elayne & Mickey Kodroff!

-Brad & Pat Carlson
Winterville, NC
BradCarlson1@hotmail.com