another Horry Cty hummer...

hi y'all,

this afternoon while assessing the winter's damage to my hummer-plant
collection, i got buzzed by an ad. male Ruby-throated, the earliest one has
been observed to show up here. he checked out the Coral Honeysuckle and
disappeared on a NE heading.

Chippies, White-throateds and Juncos continue to avail themselves of the
millet. while on my knees under the Abelia hedge, face to face with a
Ruby-crowned Kinglet and a few minutes later, a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher.

nice flock of Tree swallows with a Purple Martin in their midst. small flock
of waxwings that waited patiently for me to get a safe distance away from
the birdbath. Am. robins duking it out, and a pair of mockers doing the
Mockingbird two-step.

bloody battle (literally!) between two anoles, while another 20 ft away
enjoyed a termite hatch. i'd rather eat than fight, too.

other flying things were cruising thru the yard, too: Forester moth, Tiger
Swallowtail, Falcate Orangetip, Sleepy Orange, Cloudless Sulphur, Polygonia
sp., and an apparent female Horace's Duskywing. also a little skipper that
got away. no Azures in my neighborhood, but they're common in Georgetown
Cty. hmmm...wonder what's up with that?

gary phillips
conway, sc
sunset zone 31

"...where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment
of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with
reverence..." (J.J. Audubon)