Razorbill back at Wrightsville Beach

Well, I've tried posting a complete trip/species report twice last night
and this morning, but between the server crashing and the power blipping,
it looks like neither may have gone through. Appologies if this basic info
appears on the list multiple times, but I felt it might be worth trying again.

Yesterday afternoon between 3-4pm, two of us were treated to seeing an
imature Razorbill swimming and diving lazily off the Southern most tip of
Wrightsville Beach. The bird was first seen amazingly close to shore,
(maybe 20 yds!). Over a period of several minutes we watched it dive and
reappear as it slowly drifted further out. It had an unidentified
white-headed companion, but there was no mistaking the ID of the 1st yr.
Razorbill. The bird was last seen diving in front of the Green Channel
marker #7. In John Fussell's must-own book, "A Birder's Guide to Coastal
North Carolina", this exact spot is indicated by the head of the arrow
pointing to Masonboro Inlet on page 333.

Mike Swaim
Efland, NC
miaim@mebtel.net