downtown Durham spring arrivals Re: Fooled

Hi Carolinabirders,

Picked up two birds in the last 24 hours that I missed on the Durham
Spring Bird Count. Last night, as we pulled up to Joe and Jo's Downtown
(Durham's best bar) to celebrate the completion of Cait Coberly's
long-awaited Ph.D., I heard two Common Nighthawks calling overhead. Woke
up this morning to an Eastern Wood-Pewee singing enthusiastically in the
backyard in Old North Durham. And then, as I walked to the Duke Biological
Sciences building a little while later, a Prairie Warbler (which we did
have on the DSBC) sang from the shrubby, woodsy area behind the Phytotron
(where Will Cook and Jeff Pippen work).

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 KCat504@aol.com wrote:

> After hearing the loud call of the killdeer in close proximity and
> seeing nothing, finally realized it was my resident office mocking bird.

I thought I had my lifer Chuck-will's-widow in Arlington, Texas about 9
years ago when I heard one from a rooftop on the UTA campus at about 4 AM
one spring day. Then I heard other songs and calls coming from the same
source, and realized I was listening to a mockingbird, kept awake by the
city lights. (I think it was two days later that I flushed a real, live
Chuck from a hedgerow in the park across the street)

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University