Duke Forest birds

This morning before work I checked out the Shepherd Nature Trail
(http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/tbg/dukeforestjp.html) and had a couple of male
Magnolia Warblers and a Black-throated Blue, plus literally ounces of
Ovenbirds, Am. Redstarts, B&Ws, Scarlet Tanagers, Hooded Warblers, Parulas,
and Common Yellowthroats.  Heard some baby bird noises coming from a Hairy
Woodpecker nest hole.  No thrushes, not even Wood. The Fringetrees are
spectacular there this year.

Addendum to the Durham count - I actually had 88 species, not 86.  The 14
species of warblers included 50 Common Yellowthroats and 9 Prothonotaries.
I've been seeing a lot of Ovenbirds lately (often chasing each other around) -
had 16 on the count.

There are still several unclaimed areas on the May 4 Chapel Hill count .  Any
Carrboro or Chapel Hill birders out there willing to cover their local patch?
Details at http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/chbc/ - just send me an e-mail to sign
up.

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu