Swallow Tailed Kites at Howell

I just got back from a field trip to Howell Woods Preserve in Johnston
Cty. THe trip was led by Robin Moran and all seven of us saw two Swallow
Tailed Kites forage over the savannah next to the ranger station. The
kites were first spotted by Josh Rose and Judy Murray, but all of got good
looks at them. According to the rangers there this was apparently a first
record for the preserve.

We also saw at least two and possibly three Mississippi Kites (two over
the same savannah, and one over the Neuse River).

I left a little early so the others may have seen more interesting
species.

Shantanu Phukan

SHANTANU PHUKAN
Lecturer in Urdu-Hindi & Indian Literature
University of N. Carolina, Chapel Hill
Curriculum in Asian Studies
Alumni Hall 413C
Chapel Hill, N.C. 27599