Onslow County Migration Count

We did the North American Migration day count yesterday in Onslow
County. This is the eight year for this count. I great group of birders
in some excellent habitat. The problems is it's not all accessible or
not easily accessible. Totals are not all in but it looks like it will
be around 153 species. Had several; notables, a black billed cuckoo on
Camp Lejeune. Andy Webb has a posting on the CBC list. Had a re-throated
Loon at a private impoundment still around. A few migrant warblers still
passing through, but mostly local breeders. Had a hooded merganser,
lesser black-back gull, northern oriole, and 10 anhinga.

In the White Oak river there's a duck impoundment that's open to the
public, but only by boat. Liz Lathrop and Al Gamache had this on their
area. The impoundment was a drained and a large mud flat. It was full of
shore birds, Conservative numbers were 1300 semiplam. sandpipers, 700
least sandpipers, 14 black-necked stilts, dunlins, yellow legs, and
several bitterns. Lack of a scope hampered a close look for rarer peeps.

Jim O'Donnell  (odjljl@ncnets.net)
Onslow County N.C.