a sad loss

Dear All,

Last week we lost a Carolinabirds contributor, an avid birder and very dear
friend.  Dick Burk, president of the Moore County Bird Club, lost his battle
with leukemia on Thursday.  Dick and his wife Marion retired to North
Carolina from New Jersey in 1993.  Over the past ten years, they traveled
extensively across the state on birding trips. Additionally, Dick made
regular forays in the Sandhills and documented many interesting breeding
bird occurrences here.  He made a special effort to monitor the Bald Eagle
nest at Blewett Falls over the past five years.  He also the first to
conduct volunteer bird surveys on Pinehurst's Audubon Signature course, The
Centennial, when it opened in the early 1990's.  Most notably, he provided
outstanding leadership for the Moore County Bird Club.  He had unfaltering
commitment to not only the programs and activities but single-handedly
produced our quarterly newsletter. Although we will attempt to fill his very
big shoes, the club will certainly not be the same without him.

Dick was a worldwide birder with over 700 species on his Life List.  Just a
week before his death, Dick had some fantastic days migration birding in
Texas.  That is certainly how he would want to be remembered: doing what he
loved best.

Susan Campbell
Whispering Pines, NC