Re: Collard Dove history

Shantanu is completely southern now. He calls them collard doves, too.

Buddy

Jack Dozier wrote:

At 08:41 PM 5/21/03 -0400, Shantanu Phukan wrote:

Can someone who knows the how's and wherefores of the Eurasian Collared
Doves in North America tell us a little about just how they came to be on
this continent (was it a deliberate or accidental introduction or did they
wing it on their own?).

They were introduced into the Islands, and then made it to S FL/ Key Largo area on their own. Back in the last half of the 1970's. Stayed static for a couple of years or so, and then BOOM!

Interestingly, they are people-loving creatures, frequenting towns, populated areas, and also farm feed lots. Not frequently seen in open fields the way Mourning Doves are, thus saving themselves from the hunters. Seldom are they shot in my rural area, although they are not protected by hunting regulations. Most hunters I know (including myself) don't consider them good fun game due to their slow flight, and the fact they hang so close to human habitation. Kind of like Rock Doves.

Jack Dozier
Alligator Pt., FL
jdozier@nettally.com

--