The 3 Hatteras pelagic trips

I'll let Brian Patteson report on the "3" trips that went out of
Hatteras this past weekend. You heard already from Brad Carlson about
the Pterodroma Grand Slam on Sat. off Manteo. That's 3 more species of
Pterodromas we had on Sat and Sun (the two days I went off Hatteras).
But, we had SEVENTEEN true pelagic species each day, the best diversity
I've ever had on pelagic trips. And, I got a lifer and state bird on
Sunday, but a poor view. I understand they were "smokin'" yesterday
(Monday). Brian got a lifer cetacean on Sunday, and I got a lifer fish
(Spearfish) on the weekend, as well. OK, I'm not keeping life lists of
fishes and even cetaceans, but we had fun nonetheless.

Next pelagic trip I take will be one that doesn't have a competing trip
out of another inlet. Hard to choose which boat to go on, and often the
other boat has the best birds! At least, we did better on Sunday than
the Manteo folks did that day, but still -- their Saturday trip must
have been one for the ages!
--
Harry LeGrand
NC Natural Heritage Program