Unusual yard birds

Hi folks;
I was looking out my kitchen window last Thursday here in the Oteen section of Asheville and saw a very unusual pair of birds, for here at any rate. A pair of Mallard ducks! Now we live about a mile from the nearest water, and I have never seen ducks in this neighborhood, but what made them most unusual was that they were on my neighbor's roof!! They wandered about on the roof for a while, and finally flew off into my other neighbor's yard, and proceeded as though drawn on an invisible string to my mom and dad's yard, where they caused a commotion with my dad's cat, causing my dad to dislocate his shoulder (4 hours or more in the hospital). What a day. Anyway, they have been seen in my folk's yard a few more times since. Unusual...

--
Alex Netherton
The Appalachian Naturalist