Cooper's Hawks on Duke campus

At lunchtime today (6/24/03) I was investigating the exotic invasive flora of
the Duke campus in Durham, NC and ducked into the woods off Circuit Drive to
take a look at a large Kalkora Mimosa tree (Albizia kalkora).  While there, I
saw a Cooper's Hawk fly into a large Loblolly Pine tree and start kek-kek-
kekking.  It was joined by a second Cooper's.  I didn't have binoculars with
me, so I soon lost track of them, but I suspect they're nesting in there.
This area isn't easy to walk around in because of the thick tangle of vines,
but it's between the Circuit Drive lot and Erwin Road.

If you're interested in trees, I have a species account for A. kalkora up at:
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/alka.html

Will
--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu