quail in currituck & bird haiku

Hi All,

Yesterday we sighted a female bobwhite quail in our
yard...the first we've seen in several years here in
Currituck. When we first moved here 14yrs. ago we saw
a family of quail every summer for several yrs...this
sighting must be the first (need to consult my
records) in at least 5-6 yrs....we've been hearing
their calls thru the spring and early summer...anyone
know the status of quail in our area? We planted
lezpedesa (spelling?) and partridge pea which have
re-seeded and we keep our property boundaries
uncut...any other suggestions? I know the feral cats
are a problem...

For anyone interested in reading or writing
English-language haiku, I have a shirt-pocket sized
book for sale titled HAND-SEWN HAIKU: BIRDS. As the
name implies, it's a hand-tied little booklet
consisting of haiku about birds and their
behavior...most would have meaning only to birders
(many use the "old" names of birds, such as golden
swamp warbler.) These are authentic haiku, not the
"spam" haiku that are typically posted on the
internet. The book is $3.00 postpaid...send to the
address below, make checks to Linda J. Ward, or
Clinging Vine Press. Also of interest might be my a
book of mine that includes a section on nature of the
Outer Banks (lots of birds) called A DELICATE DANCE OF
WINGS...published with a grant from the NC ARTS
COUNCIL and on sale at Manteo Booksellers, Manteo, NC.

I'm also available to teach small workshops (for only
$2.00 to cover costs of materials from the Haiku
Society of America) to teachers or anyone else
interested in learning this very enjoyable art form.

A sample:

black sickle moon
rippling in the birdbath
yellow-shafted flicker