Broad River, 10/17/99

Having only the morning free to bird, despite threatening rain and a stiff
breeze, I made my way to Broad River WMA in search of the Marsh Wren and
Sedge Wrens previously reported by Tim Kalbach.  Although I was focused on
finding the wrens this morning, I still managed to amass a decent list.

Birds of interest below:

Wood Duck
Great Egret
Northern Harrier (a beautifully colored immature)
Sharp-shinned Hawk (trying to pick a fight with the resident Red-tail who
was ignoring the smaller accipiter)
Phoebe
American Crow (no Fish Crows heard this morning)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Sedge Wren (a brief glimpse as it popped up in response to squeaking after
several Song Sparrows had done likewise)
Marsh Wren (despite the wind, I found this bird because it was singing an
almost whisper song version of their usual bubbly babble - even managed to
get a glimpse of the streaked back)
White-eyed Vireo (seems late for them in the Piedmont)
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Song Sparrow
White throated Sparrow

along with the year-round residents, like Blue Jay, Downy Woodpecker,
Northern Cardinal, both Vultures (it is always fun to watch the Turkey
Vultures riding the wind), Carolina Wren, Carolina Chickadee and Tufted
Titmouse.  No Golden-crowned Kinglets, Winter Wrens or House Wrens yet.

Good Birding -

Donna Bailey
Winnsboro, SC
e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com