Mt. Pisgah Hawk Watch...10/23/99

Today was breezy and mostly cloudy...perfect watching conditions.
Between Little League games and school carnivals, I was able to squeeze
in a few minutes on the mountain this morning and again this evening.
This evening was noteworthy in that when I packed up at about 5:30, my
thermometer read 0 C, and the wind speed was about 40 kph. Brrr.
Very few hawks were moving, but noteworthy was the good number of
vultures, all of whom were definitely moving deliberately (and rapidly)
south.  The Red-tailed Hawks seen today were flying about 1,000 feet
over the ridge, and at their speed I wouldn't be surprised if they were
in Orlando right now taking in a movie!

Today's totals:

hours -- 3
Black Vulture -- 3