Your irrupting bird sightings needed!

Greetings, Carolina birders--

There has been discussion on this listserv about this year's irrupting
species. I thought you might like to know that we at the Cornell Lab of
Ornithology and National Audubon are now tracking which species are
irrupting where and when, through our Irruptive Bird Survey. IBS is an
expansion of our North American Winter Finch and Red-breasted Nuthatch
Survey, which many of you may remember from two years back. Thanks to your
reports and those of birders across North America, we were able to track
the massive invasion of 1997-98. Now, we're looking forward to finding out
the extent of this year's irruption.

We invite you to visit the BirdSource web site at
http://birdsource.cornell.edu to see which species we're tracking. Please
enter any sightings you have into the database - it only takes a minute.
These will be combined with observations all over North America. You'll be
able to view findings right at the web site. Results will be regularly
updated, so you should check back often. (You can also back-enter data,
which will make the maps that much more complete.)

Thanks in advance for your help. Carolina birders have always been
supportive of these kinds of projects, and we appreciate it.

Allison Wells
Cornell Lab of Ornithology and BirdSource
Ithaca, NY  14850
http://birds.cornell.edu
http://birdsource.cornell.edu