Re: Fw: Peregrine Falcon netting

Hi C-birders,

This sounds like a particularly poorly thought-out idea. I am sure that
if Mexico or some Central or South American country began netting birds
which migrated down there from the US, we would be upset. If these
migratory birds also happened to be on our Endangered Species list, as
the Peregrines still are in Canada, we would be outraged.

Any subscribers to Carolinabirds who also subscribe to BIRDCHAT should
forward these messages to that national forum, where many more birders -
including many Canadians, and executives of many powerful bird
conservation organizations - will see it and be able to respond
appropriately. That is, assuming this topic has not already appeared
there; I did not see it on the BIRDCHAT web archive this morning.

Jan-Joost's idea of culling third eggs from wild clutches is far superior
to netting wild birds; individuals hatched and raised in captivity will
bond much more strongly to human handlers and train more readily than
wild-caught adults. This plan also allows falconers to obtain their new
pets from a specifically identified population, rather than just netting
whatever happens to fly along.

On a completely unrelated note, when do the Woodcocks start lekking
around here? I remember them going in February and into March; do they
start in January?

Thanks,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose