Birding By Golf Cart/S.C.

Chatters,

I returned from a golfing trip to S. Carolina (Myrtle Beach), just over a
week ago, and was pleasantly surprised at the birding activity, at this ti=
me
of year.  Had trouble cracking 100 at golf, but my spirits were lifted by =
the
51 species I saw, casually, over the 5 days.......probably not very
impressive to a "dyed-in -the-wool" lister, but more than adequate for me
under the circumstances.  Didn't have my own car, so wasn't tempted to str=
ike
out into the numerous local "hot spots", I've visited in the past.  I shou=
ld
add that there was one other serious birder in our foursome who contribute=
to our list of 51, and, coincidentally, he had trouble breaking 100 too (a=
golf!).

More than one golfer behind us must have been mystified at the "golfer"
ahead, who had binoculars trained to the surrounding trees......must have
been a weird shot, if he needs binoculars to find his ball.

I won't bother listing the 51 birds seen, but what impressed "me" most wer=
the often fleeting or distant sightings of raptors........the Mississippi
Kite (right over head), the distant Red-tailed Hawk, and probable Merlin a=
nd
Cooper's Hawk.  Also several Loggerhead Shrikes and many Carolina Chickade=
es
=96 no confusion here with Black-capped!  Aside from having a faster deliv=
ery,
I found the random call notes very distinctive, definitely higher, and if =
remember correctly, a bit harsher than the Black-capped.  At first I didn'=
even recognise it as a Chickadee, of course until I heard the rapid "Chick=
-A-
Dee-Dee-Dee".

It was nice to hear the loud, bright song of the Carolina Wren, see an
eastern Bluebird, and find Anhingas right on the golf course.  Somehow I
didn't expect to see them here.  I think of them as a bird of the Everglad=
es,
since, I guess, this is the place I've had most contact with them.  The fi=
nal
note of interest for me, was seeing Forster's Terns in winter plumage, div=
ing
into the ocean.  I'm used to seeing them in breeding plumage, inland, maki=
ng
sorties into fresh water marshes.  The rest of the list was filled with th=
usual and expected shorebirds, waders, ducks, gulls and backyard types.

I challenge any golfing birders to beat my "record".  No cheating.......yo=
have to be really trying to golf too, despite the fact that my efforts cou=
ld
be questioned at times.

I can't help but note that some of my best sightings over the years have b=
een
on golf courses.  All that greenery must be as attractive to birds as it i=
to us.  I hear that a growing number of golf course owners are even using
safe and natural methods to keep their courses healthy, in order to keep t=
he
resident wildlife healthy too.

Fore!!

Ernie Jardine
Toronto Ont
Birding@aol.com

[forwarded from birdchat by carolinabirds-owner]