Re: Great Horned Owl vocalizations

Peterson's Western Guide says, regarding the GHO, "Female's hoots are said to
be higher, in shorter sequence."  My wife & I observed GHO copulation while
searching for great grays one cold winter night in Oregon. The bird on top
had the deep voice. Now, unless someone can prove to me that birds in North
Carolina employ a different sexual position, I remain convinced that male
GHOs have the deeper hoot. It is common knowledge among biologists on the
West Coast that for spotted and barred owls, males are slightly smaller than
females and have a deeper voice.

Charlie Thomas
Greenville, NC