Still snowing

Cbirders,

Feeling sorry for the ground-feeding birds, I bundled myself up and walked
out into the yard with several of those huge convenience store cups full of
black-oil sunflower seed.  At a sufficient distance from my apartment, but in
an area still close enough to watch from a window, I broadcast the bird food
over the top of the snow.

Maybe you have already guessed what happened.

As the warm seed hit the cold soft snow, it impacted with enough force to
come to rest just under the surface.  Then, it continued to sink.  It gets
worse.  By the time I made it back inside to look out of the window, the
falling snow had obliterated any trace of my efforts.

My next plan is to put a cookie-sheet out and put the seed on top.  If that
doesn't work, I am going to spread the last of the seed around on the kitchen
floor and leave the back door open.

Snowbound in Buies creek,
Hal Broadfoot
Hawb@aol.com