red shouldered hawks and ducks

Went to a former quarry site in southern Cumberland County with Hal
Broadfoot on Saturday.  Saw a pair of red-shouldered hawks mating.  (Also
saw a brown-headed nuthatch peeping out of a bluebird box this morning).

We hoped that the cold weather would have brought some ducks in.  There used
to be a lot of ducks here.  In recent years the ponds have been opened up to
duck hunters.   We saw a raft of ruddy ducks, pied billed grebes, a few
bufflehead, one lesser scaup, mallards, and 2 ring necked ducks.

Sue Pulsipher
Linden, NC
puls@fayettevillenc.com