Re: Wild Turkeys by the score

   What a treat to have wild turkeys come to your
feeders! I understand some folks in the Hillsborough
area above Chapel Hill/Durham have turkeys come to
their feeders.
    In March of last year, following blizzard No. ?/5
in Ashe County, we were finally able to get out and
drive around. We were on Idlewild Road, the
southernmost main road in Ashe Co. starting just north
of Deep Gap off 221 and heading east. In an open
grassy field on a hillside with southern exposure,
we saw a flock of ~125 turkeys feeding. They moved
tightly packed together like a raft of ducks. The most
amazing thing in addition to their number and
movement, was the color variation. They ranged from
pale pearl grey through rufous to chocolate to jet
black. There were approximately 10% of the flock
in a given color morph.
   We drove back along the new on near Windy Hill Road

and found another flock of about 50 feeding along the
New.
   I wish I had my camera and I wish I'd gone back for
some of those pale grey/charcoal wing feathers...
   Hey, Ron-what's your feed bill with turkeys and
Grosbeaks???
Jill Froning
n. Chatham Co.
sjfroning@yahoo.com