No Subject

The election is over in South Carolina, but not the Polling!

This morning, while cleaning windows in my second floor study, I checked
the birds on the feeder below and was astonished to see finch with a
red head cap, not red all around like a male House Finch or Purple Finch.
I raced downstairs, and took photos from close range from the kitchen
window (in poor light).  The black throat patch stood out, before I
checked the field guide and realized it should have one.  This bird
was mostly brownish on the back, a Common Redpoll.  Then it took off,
and it hasn't been relocated.  I wrote down full details immediately.

No, I don't live in Hilton Head, but in Columbia, along Rawls Creek, not
far from the Lake Murray Dam (Irmo side).

The chap installing a cable modem for my computer also saw the bird;
he is my only corroborating witness!

I last saw Redpolls, both species, at feeders near Minneapolis in 1988.
So this was quite a thrill.

If it returns, I will certainly report it here.

We got our first Wood Ducks for the yard list today, swimming in the
creek in back, so it was already a good day.  A new high of 9 Pine Siskins,
too.  But a Common Redpoll is a super addition for my BYBL submission!

Jerry Griggs     j@sc.edu
Columbia, SC