Snowy Owl in pines?

I concur with Josh Rose's comments regarding Snowy Owl. He was skeptical
of the reported sighting because it was described as "roosting in
pines", based on his sightings in the North. I have seen 7-8, and all
were on telephone poles, fence posts, buildings, etc. If not there, then
I would expect one to sit on the ground. Based on my readings of the
species, all sightings tend to be in wide open areas, far from trees. It
is a diurnal owl, so in daylight it would not be roosting in a pine. (I
don't think the e-mail mentioned the time of day.)

I would surmise that perhaps the observer saw an albino Great Horned
Owl, if not a Barn Owl (the observer said it was not a Barn Owl).

I would be interested to know if others look for the bird in question.
We could all use Snowy Owl on our state list or life list, but ... my
heart says it must be something else. We haven't had a Snowy Owl in NC
in about 8-10 years (a road-killed one in Goldsboro that spent time
feeding around the Seymour Johnson AFB area), even though there was a
report of one in Florida a few months ago. Certainly, a Snowy could show
up, as it is winter --- but the "roosting in pines" is a concern.

--
Harry E. LeGrand, Jr.
N.C. Natural Heritage Program

Office: (919) 715-8687