Overlooked Snowy Owl report

Susan Campbell reminded me of the Snowy Owl reported, and apparently
photographed, by a college student on Masonboro Island, I believe. I
think it was last winter. I now recall that at least one birder from the
Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach area went to Masonboro I. to relocate the
bird and failed to find it.

I don't recall if the report was published in Chat Briefs or Field
Notes/N.A. Birds. Because Masonboro I. requires a private boat to reach,
most of us had to wait helplessly at home and hope that someone with
boat access could relocate the bird.

Masonboro Island consists of low dunes, sand flats, and salt marsh and
would provide excellent habitat for a Snowy Owl (other than being far to
the south of its normal range).

I apologize for overlooking this report.

Harry LeGrand

--
Harry E. LeGrand, Jr.
N.C. Natural Heritage Program