Falls Lake field trip/Harbinger of Spring

I'm leading a Chapel Hill Bird Club trip tomorrow (3/11) to the Knap of
Reeds Creek area near Falls Lake.  We meet at 7:30 am at Glen Lennox
shopping center in Chapel Hill (see the CHBC web site
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/chbc/ for directions).  Alternately, you could
meet us at 8:15 am at the destination -- on Old Oxford Hwy 1.8 miles north
of Brickhouse Road, across from the north end of the prison complex (just
south of Veazey Road).  There's a gravel parking lot here with the usual
field marks of an Army Corps of Engineers waterfowl impoundment -- the sign
telling you about why there's a waterfowl impoundment, the gate, and the
gravel road beyond the gate.  Meet at the parking lot.  On the Christmas
Bird Count here I found a big flock of Rusty Blackbirds (about 350), lots of
Winter Wrens, White-crowned Sparrows, and other goodies.

Some harbingers of spring in the Chapel Hill suburbs:
1 - return of the grackles (early Feb)
2 - Fish Crows (late Feb)
3 - cowbirds (early March)

Will

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                w 919-660-7423
cwcook@duke.edu                       h 919-967-5446