Another "ducky" day

Inspired this morning by Tom Lorenzin's post about Lake Norman, we headed
out to search Lake Hickory for north-bound waterfowl.  It was quite "ducky"
this morning---and we had several hundred diving ducks overhead several
times and missed identifying them due to their altitude.  Here's the list of
what we did have:

67 Ring-necked Ducks (60 @ Oxford Access, 7 @ Icard Dam)
41 Lesser Scaup (Oxford Access)
35 Greater Scaup (Oxford Access)
37 Horned Grebes (2 @ Oxford, 26 @ Dusty Ridge, & 9 @ Lovelady)
  9 Pied-billed Grebes (4 @ Oxford, 4@ Dusty Ridge, & 1@ Lovelady)
  3 Double-crested Cormorants (2 @ Oxford, 1@ Icard Dam)
  1 Red-breasted Merganser (Dusty Ridge)
  1 Common Loon (Dusty Ridge)
  2 Northern Shovelers (Icard Dam)
  2 American Widgeons (Icard Dam)
  3 Blue-winged Teals (1 @ Icard Dam, 2 @ Lovelady)
  1 Bufflehead (Lovelady Access)
  2 NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOWS (Oxford Access)

There were also good numbers of Coots and gulls (both Ring-billed and
Bonaparte's) at most locations.

Dwayne & Lori Martin
Foothills Bird Club
Claremont, NC