Owl Nest?

Dear Carolinabirders,
    Is this unusual???  We were on our way to North Topsail Beach from
Raleigh, NC, today and drove around Snead's Ferry checking out property
along the ICW at Pelican Point.  There were many osprey nests in the
area.  While driving through an undeveloped area, I spotted close to the
road what looked like an osprey nest in the top of a dead tree with
something in it, but I was struck by how the bird (?) in it looked grey
and thought it might be a great blue heron nest instead.   So we pulled
over and pulled out the binoculars and observed what appeared to be two
light-colored baby owls.  They looked like baby great horned owls (they
had rings around their eyes and obvious ears).  We did not see any
adults nearby.

    I thought owls built their nests in cavities in trees.  Is it
possible that they build nests in the top of dead trees like ospreys?
We'd be glad to give directions if anyone wants to check them out.

Thanks for your help,

Connie & Bob Shertz
shertz1@mindspring.com
N. Topsail Beach, NC (for the long weekend)