Raven question

Hello all,

Anyone have experience with Ravens moving around and calling at night?

I was backpacking all last week in the Pisgah National Forest.  One night
at about 11:00 PM while camped on top of Soapstone Ridge, I heard what
sounded like a single Raven call off to my left.  In a couple of seconds
the call came again, louder and directly overhead.  In another couple of
seconds the call again, fainter, and from off to the right.  The bird had
to be calling on the wing as it flew over in the dark.  I know that owls
make many different calls but it sure sounded like a raven, at least the
three singular "RAWK"'s  didn't sound owl-like.  Any thoughts?

By the way, we saw and heard many turkeys every day.  Also frequent
drumming of grouse, and lots of warblers.

Paul Shewmaker
leftshew@globalvision.net
Simpsonville, SC

p.s. Saw a white squirrel in Flat Rock on the way up to mountains.