wood thrush is Here!

My favorite song woke me up this AM-that of the Wood
Thrush! Seems a little early, but so glad since we
leave on the 13th to go to the Audubon convention in
Cal.! Still have not seen any hummers here(near Bynum
and the Haw River south of Chapel Hill)
And the hooded has not shown up yet. We expect
chickadee babies this weekend! She will not get off
that nest when we tap on the box. Just her (or his?)
little tail poking upward from our cat Duke's hair!
THe other box has a partial chickadee nest with the
beginnings of a bluebird nest on top! The box is so
close to the other nest box with chickadees, I was
surprised a chickadee would nest so close to another.
Is that common? Stokes says their territory is Ten?
acres. That must be why the tussle the other day
between the chickadees.
There are definitely two pairs at least buzzing and
calling and singing around my yard all the time! All
of Dukes hair has been pulled from the old suet cage.
Saw a sharpie(i think) try to get a bird in a
hydrangea bush RIGHT outside our window yesterday
morning. It sure was FAST! Kate

=====
Kate Finlayson
N. Chatham Co.,N.C.