Paint-eating Blue Jay

I watched this morning as a Blue Jay twice landed and ate pieces of flaking paint from the metal railing on my back porch.  We checked the railing for bugs, seeds or pollen but couldn't find anything except the flaking paint and rust spots.

We were alerted to his arrival by his soft imitation of a Red Winged Hawk.  He sat for about 15 seconds each time, calling and picking up little pieces of paint.  Both feeders held seed and suet is still available. Should I go out later and sand off these paint flakes?  Doesn't seem real healthy to me!

Claudia
-----
Claudia Egelhoff
"Share a Story"
Audio and video biographies for individuals, families and organizations
Raleigh, North Carolina
Get free personalized email from USA.com at http://mail.usa.com