Spring /Fall migrants

I am still enjoying my Fall migrants that haven't left yet.  Baltimore
Orioles (yes, that is plural) eating our grape jelly my husband puts out by
the tablespoon  fresh each day, one spiffy  yellow-rumped warbler who thinks
our suet and baked goods are "delicious", white-throated sparrows who  sing
both morning and evening, and have their meals with the little chippies who
wander in to check out our smorgasbord.

 Our 'old' friends from last year are back, such as the beautiful red-headed
woodpecker and the great-crested flycatcher.  Both nest nearby, so have
their meals with us.  I have a flycatcher house, so it gets used each year.

  The chickadees are nesting and I have my first woodpecker box up, so will
see if it gets used.  We have both bluebird boxes and feeders around, so
usually have several nestings of those beautiful birds.

 We have the usual Modos, thrashers, mockingbirds, titmice, cardinals, blue
jays, whit-br. nuthatches, brown headed nuthatches, housefinches, grackles,
starlings(ugh), downies, goldfinches, carolina wrens (nesting in a gourd I
hung up under my back porch).  We don't have to go far to see a huge
assortment.  And to think they will be bringing their babies to the feeders
soon .  That is always a treat for me to watch.

Someone here in New Bern that lives in a bottom-land hardwood forest  has
been enjoying  evening grosbeaks for about two weeks.

Has anyone heard whether or not  the normal amount of purple martins have
arrived in N.C.?

While watching the birds this morning, I noticed a caterpillar walking
around the top edge of my ant-trap that hangs over my hummingbird feeder
just outside my kitchen window.  I tried to notice its colors, so perhaps I
could remember whenever I looked in the book to recognize it later.  It was
black with a yellow stripe down its back.  Could it have been a "chicken "
butterfly?

Joanne Harley
New Bern,NC
harleyclan@coastalnet.com