Ocean Isle Sew.Ponds access

Dear Birders:

Because of building cement ponds for the next year (started already),
the Boss has informed me that Ocean Isle Sewerage Treatment Ponds will
not be accessible on weekdays.  He assured me that the "old ponds" will
always have water in them even when the new ones are finished.  He said
the big pond up the road that you can access by going around the locked
gate will always be accessible.

This news was given us just as we located our first ever White-rumped
Sandpiper there which I told him about.  "Yes, he said, "There are a lot
of birds here."  Apparently the Contractors are nervous about people,
cars, whatever.  Wish I had thought to tell him about the wonderful
viewing platform for birders at the Sierra Vista, Ariz. Sewer Ponds.

Up the road and around the corner on Old Georgetown Pike the new golf
courses that are going in there will have state of the art treated water
from the  Sewerage ponds in the future.

In addition to the aforementioned White-rumped, we had many Greater and
Lesser Yellow-legs often side by side, Solitary Sps. and Leasts and
Spotteds.  There are still some Bonaparte Gulls, 4 Ruddy ducks and a
female Lesser Scaup present  also.  And a Mommy Wood Duck with 6 very
little babies.  How do they get there from wherever they nest, assuming
they only nest in holes?

Also Canada geese and tree and barn swallows.

And while I'm complaining, I'll mention that Pearl Golf Course has
undertaken an immense mature pine-tree harvesting.  So now I not only
see blue sky across the street, I hardly see any trees in that nice
thick woods that was between us and one of Pearl's holes.  Result:  Have
not heard a Summer Tanager in neighborhood, let alone yard  for first
time in 12 years.  Argh!!

Good birding all.
Mary McDavit, Sunset Beach NC
osprey@nccoast.net