Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 17:55:32 -0400
From: Magill <garrett33@earthlink.net>
To: phukan@email.unc.edu
Subject: blackpoll arrivals

Dr. Phukan-
I was interested to read your e-mail regarding arrival times for Blackpolls. I am a graduate student at William & Mary in Virginia studying them for my MS thesis. (I used to live in Chapel Hill). They seem to be relatively scarce in the Triangle, compared to VA. The first I've seen here (Southeastern VA) this year was on April 29th, and I had a high today of 40 singing males at my study sites. All of my sites are in suburban neighborhoods with mature hardwoods, much like the areas around the UNC campus.

My records from Chapel Hill in 96, 97, and 98 indicate an early date of May 8th in 1997. I was not as attuned to the species when I was living in NC, but I can never remember seeing anything close to 40 birds in a several block area. I'm interested to hear if other Carolina birders have seen any so far this spring.

Observations like these lend themselves to the conclusion that birds moving through the Piedmont are not part of the same population that move through the Coastal areas. Pass this along to the listserv if you would, as I'm not on it any longer. I'm curious to see if anyone else in the Triangle has been observing any this week or last week. Birders can post to the listserv or contact me directly (magill_weber@hotmail.com) Thanks, and good birding.
Magill Weber