Hatteras Pelagic Results; Space on June 3, 4

Our pelagic trips from Hatteras this past weekend were fairly
productive,despite the fact that some of the species were in fairly low
numbers.  Jaegers and Arctic Terns were scarce, probably on account of a
brisk and relentless southwest wind, and both Cory's and Greater
Shearwaters have not yet really arrived in force. There were plenty of
Sooty Shearwaters, Audubon's Shearwaters and Black-capped Petrels around
each day though. Wilson's Storm-Petrels, though not as abundant as I
expected them to be, were fairly numerous but Band-rumps were scarce and
we didn't see any Leach's Storm-Petrels either day. Highlights included
excellent views of both dark and light morph Herald (Trinidade) Petrels
on Sunday and a Manx Shearwater that day as well. We also glimpsed a
dark Herald Petrel on Saturday, but it was flying downwind some distance
from the boat.

The bird list for both days follows. Although we are full on our Friday
June 2 trip, we still have room on both Saturday, June 3 and Sunday,
June 4 from Hatteras, NC. Please contact me for for more details or
consult our website at http://www.patteson.com/.

Sat., May 20/ Sun. May 21

BC Petrel- 133/ 203
Herald Petrel- 1/ 2
Cory's Shearwater- 1/ 10
Greater Shearwater- 2/ 2
Sooty Shearwater- 28/ 90
Manx Shearwaer- 0/ 1
Audubon's Shearwater- 64/ 148
Wilson's Storm-Petrel- 79/ 148
Band-rumped Storm-Petrel- 1/ 2
Red-n. Phalarope- 1/ 3
Pomarine Jaeger- 1/ 2
Bridled Tern- 3/ 0
Sooty Tern- 0/ 19
Arctic Tern- 2/ 0

Besides these species listed above, early June is a good time for Fea's
Petrel, Leach's Storm-Petrel, Long-tailed Jaeger, and South Polar Skua.
We also heard of some tropicbirds seen by the fishing fleet this past
weekend.

I'd like to thank everyone who helped out this weekend with leading and
counting the birds- Capt. Spurgeon Stowe, Butch Pearce, Jamie Cameron,
George Armistead, Todd McGrath, Diane Andre, and Kate Sutherland. With
the exception of Todd, this crew should also be aboard in early June. I
hope that some of you can join us then.

Thanks,

Brian Patteson
Hatteras, NC