From: LisaBirder@aol.com <LisaBirder@aol.com>
To: carolinabirds@duke.edu <carolinabirds@duke.edu>
Date: May 24, 2000 2:23 PM
Subject: House Finch in the house?

>Hi there!
>
>Last evening as I was preparing dinner, I heard a male House Finch singing
in my livingroom.

>????
>
>I went in to investigate. There was a pair of House Finches on the tube
feeder hanging just outside the window, but no sign of one in the room.

>I figured I had just heard one of the birds on the feeder, and went back to
the kitchen. A minute later, the same song rang out, this time definitely
coming from inside the house.

>I went out into the livingroom again, but the feeder was empty. Just as I
was turning away again, the "House Finch" began singing. I followed the
sound, certain I was eventually going to find a wild bird in my house.

>It turns out my budgie, Margarita, has been getting more out of her view of
the feeder than just the sight of other birds. She has learned to perfectly
mimic the song of an adult House Finch!