(Fwd) Painted Bunting in Wake Co.

From:           	"Persmark, Magnus E" <emp34157@glaxowellcome.com>
Subject:        	Painted Bunting in Wake Co.
Date sent:      	Thu, 1 Jun 2000 17:23:33 -0400

A colleague, not a birder but generally nature interested, described a bird
she had seen on Monday at her home east of Falls Lake by Horse creek in Wake
county.  Her description was approximately as follows:  "I noticed a bird I
hadn't seen before, because it was so colorful.  It was fat and about the
size of a bluebird or indigo bunting.  It had a red breast/stomach with a
bluish head (I thought at first it was a Bluebird), but what really caught
my eye were the green, almost chartreuse, wings."  When I brought in a field
guide she confirmed that the bird she had seen was an Painted Bunting.  She
could not remember if the bird vocalized.

I realize that this is an unusual observation, but consider both the
description and the individual quite credible.

Magnus Persmark
Chapel Hill, NC
emp34157@glaxowellcome.com

Charles W. "Will" Cook                w 919-660-7423
cwcook@duke.edu                 h 919-967-5446
Duke University Botany Dept., Durham, North Carolina
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook