Baby-sitting a tern-skimmer colony

Today, I baby-sat a tern-skimmer colony, for 6 hours.
Sand Dollar Island, Beaufort Inlet (NC), part of the Rachel Carson Reserve.
Unfortunately, very popular with beach-goers.  Birds have tried to nest here
for a few years, but have had little success.  We (Reserve volunteers) have
roped off the colony and are doing some watching (to help keep wandering
kids out of the colony).  Last weekend, there were only 3 nests (1 common
tern, 2 skimmers).  This week, up to 4 common terns and 9 black skimmers,
with many other skimmers hanging around and 3 gull-billed tern visitors.
Have been surprised that several people have come up (last Saturday and
today) and thanked me for what I was doing.

                                      John Fussell
                                      Morehead City, NC
                                      jfuss@bmd.clis.com