Weekend birding

Marsha Stephens and I birded the Big Woods Road south of Chapel Hill on
Saturday morning. We enjoyed seeing many species, from a mature bald
eagle to a hummer, with lots of others in between. A pair of little blue
herons was perched within easy viewing distance and when I went back on
Sunday, an immature was with them. Especially gratifying were mature and
immature redheaded woodpeckers, kingbird families, a pair of great blue
herons, and several warblers (yellow throated, pine, and black/white,
plus one that was too quick for us and didn't get id'd). We also heard
or saw goldfinch, cardinal, red-tailed hawk, great white egret, 7 wood
ducks, tv, great crested flycatcher,  pileated, redbellied, and downy
woodpeckers, flicker, indigo buntings, mourning dove, bluebirds, crows,
grackles, e. wood pewee, blue-gray gnatcatchers, starlings,
yellow-billed cuckoo, and bluejay. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but
keep Big Woods Road in mind for some good local birding!

Carol Williamson
Durham, NC
carolw@sandler-recht.com