Outer Banks: 31 Aug-5 Sep 2000

Dear Carolina Birders:
I led a tour to the Outer Banks over the Labor Day Weekend. We birded from land
on three of the days and went to sea with Brian Patteson Sep 2 and 4. Sep 2 was a
White-faced Storm-Petrel search, Sep 4 was a typical Gulf Stream trip. Here are
the highlights:

Black-capped Petrel-a few on Sep 2, numerous on Sep 4.

Green Heron-the only two we saw all week were near Pirate's Cove Marina Sep 4.

Black-crowned Night-Heron-1 adult at Pea Island Aug 31.

Roseate Spoonbill-several sightings on North Pond, Pea Island Sep 3. This gave us
a clean sweep of the long-legged waders.

Virginia Rail-1 at Bodie Island Lighthouse Pond 3 Sep.

Hudsonian Godwit-1 at Ocracoke Campground 1 Sep.
2 at KOA Campground (near Avon) 3 Sep.
4 at Newfield 3 Sep.

Buff-breasted Sandpiper-1 at Hatteras Campground, area D, 3 Sep.

Long-tailed Jaeger-2 in Gulf Stream 4 Sep.

South Polar Skua-3 at sea 2 Sep.

We found 11 tern spp., missing only Arctic and Roseate. Terns and shorebirds are
always a highlight of this tour.

Great Horned Owl-1 roosting along entrance road to Bodie Island Light 3 Sep.

Migrant warblers were almost non-existent: 1 Prothonotary and 1 Magnolia at Pea
Island 31 Aug, plus the usual Black-and-whites, Yellow Warblers, and American
Redstarts.

Sincerely,
BOB
--
BIRD TREKS: Quality Birding Tours & Programs
Bob & Nancy Schutsky