House Sparrows, Re: Eurasian Collared Doves, and rarity in FL

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Ben/Lucy Smith wrote:

> Did the rapidly expanding population start with a few escapees or is
> this the result of a natural range expansion?  Is there any evidence
> that they provide any threat to Mourning Dove populations?

The US population of Eurasian Collared-Doves started with a few escaped
cage birds in the Caribbean somewhere, the Bahamas I think? They then
exploded in population, reached the mainland in Florida, and have spread
from there west to Texas and north to NC. The population seems
predominantly urban/suburban, and so does not threaten Mourning Doves in
native habitat as far as anyone knows. In Texas, there have been some
declines in Mourning Doves reported which appear to have happened
coincidentally with the expanding range of White-winged Doves. There have
also been reports of diseased MODO's around feeders as WWDO's arrive in
an area. I don't think anyone has studied these trends in a scientific
manner as yet.

Just today, the Texas listserv has a couple of posts discussing the
possible decline of House Sparrows. Frank and I failed to notice any of
them during our two days birding from Sunset Beach up to Bodie Island. I
also managed to miss the species during three of my Triangle-area "Big
Days" the fall and winter before last. However, I don't think I have ever
made it through breakfast at the Eno Cafe (in the Durham Wellspring
supermarket) without one coming up to scavenge for crumbs. Have any of
the long-time Carolina resident birders noticed any trends in the
species?

Also picked up while surfing Jack Siler's listserv archives: a Sulphur-
bellied Flycatcher was found in Miami yesterday, and seen again this
morning. I know, it's not in the Carolinas, but Miami is a heck of a lot
closer than southeastern Arizona, the nearest reliable place to see this
species in the US! About 1200 miles closer, by my math. Just in case
anyone's heading down there for the weekend...

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University