Mt. Pisgah, NC Hawkwatch -- 09/21/00

	WELCOME TO THE MOUNT PISGAH, NC HAWK WATCH REPORT -- FALL 2000

Today's Date: 21 Sept. 2000
Hours of coverage today: 9 - 6 (9 hours)

Species		     Today     Season Total

Black Vulture	........0............11
Turkey Vulture  ........0.............0
Osprey 	................0.............8
Bald Eagle .............0.............3
Northern Harrier .......1.............3
Sharp-shinned H. .......2.............8
Cooper's H. ............1.............5
Red-shouldered H. ......0.............1
Broad-winged H. .......67..........1551
Red-tailed H. ..........0.............4
American Kestrel .......0............11
Merlin .................0.............0
Peregrine Falcon .......1.............1
unidentified raptors ...0.............3

TOTALS.................72..........1609

Note that only birds showing definite migratory movements are counted.
Many local raptors and vultures observed at the site are not mentioned
in this report.

Today's counts were made by:  Bill Sanderson, 25+ teachers from NCCAT,
Janet
Stephens, Mark kurdys.

Today's weather: Rain and thick fog started the morning.  The fog
vanished about 9:30, and the weather improved steadily, becoming
absolutely spectacular by mid-afternoon.  High cirrus dominated the day,
making for exceptional viewing conditions.

Comments:  The morning hours were devoid of hawks, aside from the one
Harrier at 9:30.  The most exciting event came as a sow Black Bear and
three cubs crossed the parkway just below the overlook in full view of
the NCCAT teacher group.  The first Broad-wings appeared at 1:55 and
continued trickling by all afternoon.  One landed in a tree just below
the overlook (a first as far as I know) giving us good looks for about 5
minutes.  Our first Peregrine of the year (adult) winged by shortly
after Janet, Mark, and their two girls arrived.

Other migrants noted today:  Monarchs in short supply (no more than 25
all day).

The outlook for tomorrow: Grim.  Clouds and rain approaching (but that's
what they said TODAY would be like!)

Next scheduled coverage: Friday 22 Sept. (pm only, maybe)
			 Saturday 23 Sept.  RAPTOR DAY  9 - 6
Reported By:
	Bill Sanderson, Site Coordinator
	Asheville, NC
	nctigers@bellsouth.net
Site Description:
	The Mount Pisgah Hawk Watch, begun in 1995, is located at the Mills
River Valley overlook, mile 404.6 on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  At an
elevation of 4085 feet, it is approx. three miles north of Mount Pisgah,
and approx. 11 miles south of the city of Asheville, NC.  The watch site
is staffed by volunteer counters on an irregular basis throughout the
fall migration season; most often on weekday afternoons and weekends,
weather permitting.  The site is handicapped friendly, and
gas/food/lodging are available at the Pisgah Inn complex, approx. three
miles south on the Parkway.  Visitors are always welcomed, and new
volunteer watchers are always needed.  Contact Bill Sanderson
(nctigers@bellsouth.net) for more information.

	The Mount Pisgah Hawk Watch is an unfunded volunteer effort.
All data obtained are submitted to the Hawk Migration Association of
North America (HMANA).  Other fall hawk watch sites in this region
include the Caesar's Head State Park Hawk Watch in upstate South
Carolina, the Mahogany Rock Hawk Watch on the Blue Ridge Parkway near
Sparta, NC and the Pilot Mountain State Park Hawk Watch in Surry County,
NC.

I am the Eagle, I live in high country,
	In rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky.
I am the Hawk, and there's blood on my feathers
	But time is still turning, they soon will be dry.
All those who see me, and all who believe in me,
	Share in the freedom I feel when I fly!
				John Denver