Hawks on Blue Ridge: Mahogany Rock ( MP 235) and MP 219

There is a daily hawkwatch at Mahogany Rock (MP 235 on the Blue Ridge
Parkway) which is not being reported online.

There, I was interested to be told that the number of migrant raptors drops
off at the hawkwatches ever farther south along the Shenandoah Park/Blue
Ridge Parkway through Virginia into North Carolina.  Seems factual from
birding daily mail listservs.
Mahogany Rock is now getting about 100 Broad-wings each day, a few Sharpies,
and one or two of the more common other species.

The lookout at MP 219 described in Simpson's Birds of the Blue Ridge
Mountains did seem more productive to my daughter and myself than the more
southerly MP 235 today, 24 September; plus, the hawks seemed to be closer in
and so more exciting.

In part, this may be due to the birds at 219 being those described at the
hawkwatches as first rising up from the forest around 9-10AM; had we been at
235 9-10AM, we might have been more enthused by the looks we got at the
migrants there (which did seem to pass higher and farther away, we being
there later).

[Myself, I do look forward to the day in late November or early December one
year when I get myself to Bald Eagle Mountain State Park in Pennsylvania,
near Penn State, where they get double digits of Golden Eagle and Northern
Goshawk, raptors so rare in the Carolinas.]

Frank Enders, Halifax NC.  fkenders@hotmail.com