funky duckling

I saw an interesting duckling at Little Creek this weekend and I have no
idea what to make of it.

It was small, about a foot long.  It still showed yellow down with a bit
of black on its head and part of its upper body.  The feathers that were
growing in were white with black stripes.  It had a long, wide tail
which had already grown in.  The tail was black with brown scalloping on
the edges of the feathers.

The duckling's eyes were yellow/green, and its bill was long (about the
length of its head) and a very pale, washed out blue-gray, almost
white.  The bill appeared to have a small hook at the tip. The legs were
a pale, washed out orange/yellow.

Any ideas?

Amalie Tuffin
Durham, NC