Golden Plover at Huntington Beach State Park

Judy Walker asked me to post this sighting since she won't be back at her
computer until Tuesday.

Yesterday we were with her when several of us from the Mecklenburg Audubon
Society saw an immature American Golden Plover from the Causway at Huntington
Beach. Judy says she believes this might be the first record at the park.
We had good close views of the bird (about 30 feet in good light, with
binoculars and a scope) right next to several Black-bellied Plovers.

The bird had NO black in the axillaries under the wings (it was bathing for a
while and lifted its wings very accommodatingly so we could see). It also had
no white rump.  There were distinctly golden feathers on the head and back.
The bird was also smaller than the nearby Black-bellied Plovers and a
slightly "slimmer"-looking bird.

Otherwise, we had a fine weekend at the park, with a list of about 75
species, including a long close look at at Merlin perched on a dead tree
right next to the road to the North Parking Lot.

Louise and Larry Barden

Louise Barden
Charlotte, NC
office: 704-525-1005