Raleigh area sightings

      Today (10/30) on my way home from Richmond, I stopped at several
points in the Raleigh area to look for birds.  The NCSU dairy pond
was a bust unless you want to count the flock of rock doves sitting
on the power line.  The 1010 pond was also devoid of birds.
     However, the upper end of Lake Wheeler produced a few ruddy
ducks, a great egret, and many great blue herons.  I watched a great
blue swallow a sunfish that looked to be about 6" long.  Interesting!
     I also stopped at Greenview Pond.  There was a flock of Canada
geese in the lower end and a d-c cormorant sitting on the concrete
dam at the spillway.  In the upper end, mixed in with a number of
mallards were a few green-winged teal.  The light was harsh and the
shadows severe, but there were at least two teal and possibly more.

Bob
Robert C. Perkins, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Methodist College, Fayetteville, NC 28311
910-630-7037     rperkins@methodist.edu