possible eared grebe

Doug Shadwick and I were down at Ebeneezer point on
Jordan lake saturday morning when we found what we
think might have been an eared grebe. It was a hazy
morning and of course the bird was about 2 miles away
but it definately had us thinking.
It was swimming with both pied-billed and horned
grebes so we had some nice comparisons. It was
slightly smaller than either of the others and
somewhat slimmer looking. It had a smudgy white front
and a small patch of white on the head, much less in
brightness and extent than the horneds nearby. That
general impression was about all we could make out but
it is promising. Anyone in search of an eared might
want to make a trip out there and scan the lake.
Bruce Young
young715@yahoo.com
Durham, NC