Possible?.....

Hi folks;
Haven't posted in a while; haven't had a lot to say. While driving to
Franklin today, I was going by the big open field on the Biltmore Estate
that is on the Asheville side of I-40 (North side) between US 25 and Brevard
Rd. Saw a crow flying in that way they have, sort of jaunty and cocky, when
they have just chased a bird of prey from their home range. Scanning the
skies looking for a Redtail or Red Shoulder, I saw a crow sized bird with
swept back pointed wings. The flight looked very like a Kestrel, except not
fluttery, and more deliberate. Looked like (from the glimpse I got at it at
70MPH [don't tell the law]) Falcons I saw on the SC coast after Hurricane
Hugo.
I was wondering if anyone else has sighted anything like that in the
Asheville area. Is it possible we have a wintering Peregrine, or, if it
were, just passing through.
Alex Netherton
"The Appalachian Naturalist"
http://www.appalachian-naturalist.com
Web based mail, forums, lists, and information